Tag Archives: shrugs

Too hot to knit

Just when I was starting to admit that summer might be over, we got another week of hot days and warm nights.

It’s that dry, listless sort of heat which saps energy. I actually like this sort of weather, but it’s not at all conducive to getting things done. In fact, for the last couple of days it has been too hot to knit. Well, actually, it’s been unpleasant to do much more than sit around wearing as little as possible and engage in passive entertainment (skimming the internet, reading, watching dvds). I suppose I could have used airconditioning, but I’m opposed to doing so except in extreme circumstances, and wanting to knit on a 34ْ C degree day doesn’t seem to warrant it. ْ
ْ
I have managed to make some progress on the Jo Sharp vest during my morning bus rides, currently I’m doing the waist shaping, but it’s still basically a tube of purple ribbing. Hardly worth writing another post about it.

So instead I’ll share a project which I started at the beginning of the summer, and which I knit in obsessive spurts of energy, before I started to feel disatisfied and wanted to start something new.

Fishnet Shrug

It’s a small bolero type shrug, knit in fishnet stitch on 4mm circular needles, in Cleakheaton’s Merino Bambino 4 ply..

shrug 02

shrug 01

It’s knit across from sleeve to sleeve, in the round on the sleeves, then seperated and knit back and forth for the back. Once the second sleeve is finished, the plan is to pick up the stitches on the edges of the flat section and knit a good 5-10cm or so of ribbing to make an edge and collar. Nothing could be more simple. Right?

Unfortunately, I wasn’t paying attention a few rows back, and the stitch pattern got a bit wonky. So I had to frog back to before that happened, and put all the stitches back on the needle. That worked okay, but I can still see where I did it, as that row looks a little wider than the others. This bugs me, maybe more than it should. Also, fishnet stitch is pretty easy, but it can be a bit fiddly, which is why switching to work on the Jo Sharp pattern was probably a good move.

shrug 03

What I found last year, when I was making berets without a pattern, was that I needed to knit an object at least once just to figure out how it should work, and then make modifications and re-knit from scratch until I was really happy with the finished piece. I’m afraid that this will also be the case with this shrug. Which is a pity, because unlike a beret, this wasn’t knit in a day or two, but over several weeks. Perhaps I’ll persist, and then, if I like it enough, knit it again in a different colour, before deciding whether or not to frog the original.

On a more positive note: I threw together some ingredients which made a very successful salad the other night. I plan to re-create in the near future, on a day when I have a camera at hand.

2 Comments

Filed under knitting