Tag Archives: finished objects

When in doubt, knit socks

tidal wave 01

These are Deby Lake’s Tidal Wave socks which were available here but don’t seem to be there any more. So here’s a link to their Ravelry page.

These were lovely to knit, the stitch pattern was very easy to follow. Unfortunately, I used a slightly too heavy yarn which I bought at the Old Bus Depot Markets during the celebration of wool day in May. So I probably won’t wear them outside much, but they do make comfortable and sturdy socks to wear around the house on cold days.

Yarn: Fibreworks 70% merino 30% silk 4ply
Needles: 2.25mm dpns
Modifications: I continued the stitch pattern on the top of the foot all the way down to the toe shaping, rather than finishing at the ankle. I reversed the stitch pattern for the second stock so that they would be symmetrical.
Ravelry Project Page

Silky Doll once said that as soon as you finish the first sock, you should cast on the second. This is very good advice, and I’ve decided to extend it, so that as soon as I finish one pair of socks, I cast on another. That way I always have some knitting that’s small enough to take with me during my commute.

This time I’m using a self-striping yarn from Lincraft, and keeping it simple so that the stripes are the main feature. I’ve just started the heel flap on the first sock. The yarn is shades of grey, and I took this photo against a charcoal background. So this is not actually a black and white photo.
grey sock 01



Filed under knitting

Child’s Cardigan in Rainbow Colours

This one went to its 18 month old recipient just over a month ago. I’ve been putting off posting about it in the hopes of getting a photo of her in it, because she is unbelievably cute, but that could be awhile, so I thought I’d go ahead and post before I forget everything.

finished cardigan

This was initially inspired by Kim Hargreaves’ Mya, but the way I ended up knitting it was based more on Rebecca Hatcher’s Otis from Knitty, Spring 2004 which, incidently, was the first cardigan I made. In the end I put buttons on the edging, rather than making it a wrap.

I knit the body in one piece. After about 10 cm, I started decreases on each edge to make the neckline. and continued for another 7.5cm before separating to make the armholes. (I should really find my notes, but I just moved house and they are “somewhere”). Anyway, I made the body. and the sleeves, and blocked them all before starting on the moss stitch border.

blocking the body and sleeves

So far, so good.

Then I attempted to add the contrasting border by picking up stitches and working in moss stitch. But, the first time around, I managed to pull the whole thing out of shape by binding off too tightly.

So (a couple of weeks and 2 berets later) I ripped back until the first row of picked up stitches, and started again.

This time I made increases where front shaping began, and used a picot bind off for a stretchier edge. Success!

After that, it was just a matter of sewing in the sleeves and adding the buttons.


3.25mm circular needle
Stitch holders
4.5 skeins Cleakheaton Bambino Merino 4ply – colourway 2157 (rainbow)
1 skein Cleakheaton Bambino Merino 4ply – red
3 buttons

Time: 2 months from start to finish, knitting during commute and with a hiatus in the middle.
Estimate it would probably be 10-16 hours knitting in total (plus lots of thinking and sketching and counting).

Ravelry Project Notes

Leave a comment

Filed under knitting

Still knitting

Two scarves, and a cabled beret pattern

It’s been a REALLY long time between posts, but I am still knitting and still cooking, just got a bit behind in the taking photos and writing departments. I’ll endeavour to post more often until I’m up to date, but I don’t want to put too much in at once, so to begin with, here are some scarves and a beret.

vintage beret detail

Last time I posted about knitting, I left a teaser of a scarf which I started knitting as a gift… but apparently I am a bad friend, because I ended up keeping it for myself . Partly because it got to long and bulky to send to a country where the weather was getting warmer, and partly because I knew I would have to make one for myself if I did send it.

I did whip up a quick beret to put in the post, but failed to snap any pictures – it was the same pattern and yarn as my own beret, with some variations due to the nature of the yarn.

vintage hues scarf and beret
Beret and Scarf in Cleakheaton’s Vintage Hues.

Continue reading


Filed under knitting