This one went to its 18 month old recipient just over a month ago. I’ve been putting off posting about it in the hopes of getting a photo of her in it, because she is unbelievably cute, but that could be awhile, so I thought I’d go ahead and post before I forget everything.
This was initially inspired by Kim Hargreaves’ Mya, but the way I ended up knitting it was based more on Rebecca Hatcher’s Otis from Knitty, Spring 2004 which, incidently, was the first cardigan I made. In the end I put buttons on the edging, rather than making it a wrap.
I knit the body in one piece. After about 10 cm, I started decreases on each edge to make the neckline. and continued for another 7.5cm before separating to make the armholes. (I should really find my notes, but I just moved house and they are “somewhere”). Anyway, I made the body. and the sleeves, and blocked them all before starting on the moss stitch border.
So far, so good.
Then I attempted to add the contrasting border by picking up stitches and working in moss stitch. But, the first time around, I managed to pull the whole thing out of shape by binding off too tightly.
So (a couple of weeks and 2 berets later) I ripped back until the first row of picked up stitches, and started again.
This time I made increases where front shaping began, and used a picot bind off for a stretchier edge. Success!
After that, it was just a matter of sewing in the sleeves and adding the buttons.
3.25mm circular needle
4.5 skeins Cleakheaton Bambino Merino 4ply – colourway 2157 (rainbow)
1 skein Cleakheaton Bambino Merino 4ply – red
Time: 2 months from start to finish, knitting during commute and with a hiatus in the middle.
Estimate it would probably be 10-16 hours knitting in total (plus lots of thinking and sketching and counting).